Animalities are presented as the character morphing into a glowing animal of a certain color in which a Mercy had to be performed in the third round of the match in order to be able to perform the Animality.
List of AnimalitiesEdit
- Baraka – Vulture (grabs the opponent's upper body and flies off, severing it from his/her lower body)
- Cyrax – Shark (swims underground with a fin out, coming back from the other side of the screen to devour the opponent)
- Ermac – Frog (eats the opponent whole)
- Jade – Cat (attacks the opponent in a vicious clawing flurry)
- Jax – Lion (pounces at the opponent, devouring him/her)
- Johnny Cage – Kangaroo (kicks the opponent away with his powerful feet)
- Kabal – Skeletal Rhinoceros (rams the opponent away)
- Kano – Giant Tarantula (constricts the opponent with his legs)
- Kitana – Rabbit (mauls the opponent off screen)
- Kung Lao – Cheetah (pounces at the opponent, devouring him/her)
- Liu Kang – Dragon (eats the upper half of the opponent's body, as in his MKII Fatality)
- Mileena – Skunk (releases stinky fumes that suffocate the opponent)
- Nightwolf – Wolf (pounces at the opponent, devouring him/her)
- Noob Saibot – Anteater (sucks the opponent into his snout)
- Raiden – Electric eel (wraps himself around the opponent, shocking him/her)
- Rain – Small Elephant (blows a loud sound from his trunk, making the opponent's skin dissolve)
- Reptile – Chimpanzee (chases the opponent away; the only Animality shown not to attack the opponent)
- Scorpion – Penguin (lays an explosive egg between the opponent's legs)
- Sektor – Giant Bat (whooshes by the screen twice, decapitating the opponent in the second pass)
- Shang Tsung – Cobra (devours the opponent whole)
- Sheeva – Giant Scorpion (stings the opponent, who turns red and explodes)
- Sindel – Giant Hornet (pushes the opponent offscreen by repeatedly stinging him/her)
- Smoke (Cyborg) – Silhouette of a Bull (rams the opponent offscreen)
- Smoke (Human) – Porcupine (shoots his quills at the opponent)
- Sonya Blade – Hawk (grabs the opponent and flies off with him/her)
- Stryker – Tyrannosaurus Rex (devours the upper half of his opponent's body)
- Sub-Zero – Polar Bear (pounces at the opponent, devouring him/her. The only shared Animality with Classic Sub-Zero.)
In other mediaEdit
The Animality concept also existed in the film Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, although disappointing to most fans. Nightwolf, after turning into a wolf, taught Liu Kang how to "use his Animality" and turn into a dragon. Liu Kang later uses the feat in the final scene of the movie in response to Shao Kahn morphing into a Hydra.
- It is important to note that Animalities were one of many fan rumors the Mortal Kombat development team was aware of, and incorporated into a later game. Before Animalities were introduced in MK3, many fans were convinced Sub-Zero could turn into a polar bear in Mortal Kombat II. There was even a strategy guide which published a fake picture of this happening. In MKII 3.1, one of the possible lines that you would see in the game after beating Shao Kahn is a scrambling of the phrase "There are no Animalities". And of course, Liu Kang's Dragon Morph existed in MKII before it was made into his Animality in MK3.
- In Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, electric eels, Raiden's Animality, appear as minor enemies in the Water Element stage.
- Despite his name, Scorpion couldn't turn into his namesake, but rather a penguin. Instead, the ability to do so was given to Sheeva.
- Furthermore, this same repetition also occurs Reptile, who transforms into a chimpanzee.