He was the one responsible for assigning missions to various clan members, including the elder Sub-Zero, who was charged with the mission of obtaining the Map of Elements from the Shaolin Temples. He also sent Sub-Zero on a task to assassinate Shang Tsung in the first Mortal Kombat tournament as well as his younger brother in the second tournament. However, after the events that took place in Outworld, he declared that the Lin Kuei should automate their ninjas in order to improve the efficiency of the clan.
Later on, until the events of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, he was killed by his son Sektor, who was made Grandmaster for a brief period of time. Sub-Zero challenged Sektor and defeated him, thus claiming leadership of the clan and vowing to make it a force for good.
In the alternate timeline, the Grandmaster was mentioned several times and was revealed to be the father of Sektor. He was killed by his son, who then claimed leadership of the Lin Kuei. In Mortal Kombat X, Sektor was killed by Sub-Zero, who then reformed the Lin Kuei by terminating the Cyber Initiative and turning the clan into a force for good, as with the original timeline.
- The Grandmaster possesses the Dragon Medallion which enhances the abilities of its owner and thus making him more powerful. Sub-Zero would later claim it after defeating Sektor in the 1st timeline and the 2nd, by Sektor. The medallion requires discipline to control its immense power.
- He wears an elaborate version of the Lin Kuei ninja outfit which almost resembles that of a priest and was red.
- Oniro from Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm was the leader of the Lin Kuei who wears a white Lin Kuei uniform and has the ability to shapeshift.
- A similar looking character makes an appearance in the Konquest mode of Mortal Kombat: Deception.
- The Lin Kuei Grandmasters are also seen in Mortal Kombat: Conquest and were the ones responsible for training Sub-Zero in the episode "Cold Reality".
- The Lin Kuei Grandmasters in Mortal Kombat: Conquest do not display the ninja mask common to all other members of the clan. They instead, in an opposite fashion to that of their subordinates, have their eyes covered and their mouths exposed.
- The Grandmaster made his debut in the prequel to the Mortal Kombat series, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.
- The Grandmaster's Mortal Kombat (2011) uniform was similar to that of Shinnok's Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero costume.