He is the one responsible for assigning missions to various clan members including the elder Sub-Zero who was charged with the mission of obtaining the Map of Elements from the Shaolin Temples. He also sent Sub-Zero on a task to assassinate Shang Tsung in the first Mortal Kombat tournament as well as his younger brother in the second tournament. However, after the events that took place in Outworld, he declared that the Lin Kuei should automate their ninjas in order to improve the efficiency of the clan.
Later on, until the events of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, he was killed by his son Sektor, who was made Grandmaster for a brief period of time. Sub-Zero challenged Sektor and defeated him, thus claiming leadership of the clan and vowing to make it a force for good.
In the alternate timeline, the Grandmaster is mentioned several times by Cyrax and in Sektor's MK 2011 ending, he is revealed as the father of Sektor, he is killed by his son, who claimed leadership of the Lin Kuei.
- The Grandmaster possesses the Dragon Medallion which enhances the abilities of its owner and thus making him more powerful. Sub-Zero would later claim it after defeating Sektor in the 1st timeline and the 2nd, by Sektor. The medallion requires discipline to control its immense power.
- He wears an elaborate version of the Lin Kuei ninja outfit which almost resembles that of a priest and is red.
- Oniro from Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm is the leader of the Lin Kuei who wears a white Lin Kuei uniform and has the ability to shapeshift.
- A similar looking character makes an appearance in the Konquest mode of Mortal Kombat: Deception.
- The Lin Kuei Grandmasters are also seen in "Mortal Kombat: Conquest" and were the ones responsible for training Sub-Zero in the episode "Cold Reality".
- The Lin Kuei Grandmasters in "Mortal Kombat: Conquest" do not display the ninja mask common to all other members of the clan. They instead, in an opposite fashion to that of their subordinates, have their eyes covered and their mouths exposed.
- The Grandmaster made his debut in the prequel to the Mortal Kombat series, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.
- The Grandmaster's MK9 uniform is similar to that of Shinnok's Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero outfit.