|Mortal Kombat: Devastation|
|Directed by||Kevin Tancharoen (formerly)|
|Produced by||Lawrence Kasanoff|
|Written by|| Kevin Tancharoen|
|Starring||Ian Anthony Dale|
|Distributed by|| Warner Bros. Pictures|
New Line Cinema
|Preceded by||Mortal Kombat: Annihilation|
Mortal Kombat: Devastation is the third installment in the film franchise based on the Mortal Kombat fighting video game series. Kevin Tancharoen was directing, he and Oren Uziel are/were co-writing the film., and Lawrence Kasanoff and Threshold Entertainment are producing the film. The current status of the project has not been confirmed.
There are currently seven possible storylines for the film (note that any of these storyline could be false):
- According to a rumor site, it stated that Devastation will partially reboot the film series, alluding the first film while completely disregarding Annihilation.
- Christopher Lambert, who portrayed Lord Raiden in the first film, claims that, while the script has already been written, it will be scrapped and re-written upon the release Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
- On the Mortal Kombat official website, there was a hidden plot revealed back in 2005:
It seems that since the halt of Shao Kahn's invasion, stopping the merger between realms, Earth Realm's balance with the universe has been restored. But it is unclear the future of the tournament thus far. For there are many enemies still burning with hatred, possessing an unquenchable thirst for revenge. And since Kahn's invasion was not prophesied by the Elder Gods, the future of the tournament is unclear. For now our planet remains a precious gateway between realms, inhabited not by gods or sorcerers, but only by humans. Will Earth Realm be challenged again, or taken? And by whom? Sorcerers, corrupt ninja clans, or powerful being from a distant realm? One thing is certain, now that Raiden is an Elder God, it is up to me to watch over Earth Realm and lead our fighters against whomever they may face, in Mortal Kombat. Fujin - God of Wind, Protector of Earth Realm
- Originally Robin Shou, who played Liu Kang in both Mortal Kombat films, said that he will be in Devastation but not as Liu Kang but as Kung Lao. In June of 2006, he reported that he would like to play the character more but the movie will instead have Sub-Zero as the main hero, and that the movie supposedly takes place before Liu Kang's time. It's not known if this rumor is true or if he will play Liu Kang again. 
- The latest rumors claims that the film either be a start-from-scratch film, rebooting the whole franchise or a continuation of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, or a remake of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.
- Another rumor is it is mostly the events of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Armageddon; even though it might not contain all characters, they will reference every character.
- Another rumor is another sequel that erases Mortal Kombat: Annihilation that could be called simply Mortal Kombat 2. The plot to this possible sequel is of a continuation of the tenth tournament that is now hosting by the Emperor himself (Shao Kahn in the games) after the defeat of his loyal sorcerer Shang Tsung in Outworld by Liu Kang in the first Mortal Kombat movie.
A third Mortal Kombat movie was going to be produced to follow Mortal Kombat: Annihilation with Quan Chi as the main villain. But the project was scrapped due to the lackluster reception that the sequel received. Then in early 2000, A third Mortal Kombat film was going to be developed by New Line to atone for the poor reception to Annihilation, called "Mortal Kombat: Devastation". Christopher Lambert, Linden Ashby, Adoni Maropis, Robin Shou, Chris Casamassa, Keith Cooke, and Michael Jai White were hired to be in the cast as Lord Rayden, Johnny Cage, Quan Chi, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Jax, respectively. Talisa Soto and Sandra Hess were in talks to reprise their respective roles of Princess Kitana and Lt. Sonya Blade. WWE wrestler Trish Stratus, Jamie Pressly (who had a Mika in Mortal Kombat: Conquest) and Kristanna Loken (who also had a role of Tasha in Mortal Kombat: Conquest) were in the running for the role of Sonya. Mathew Mardsen was said to have been considered for the role of Kurtis Stryker. While Dolph Lundgren was in talks to portray Shao Kahn. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa expressed interest in returning as Shang Tsung. In 2003, Paul W. S. Anderson was offered a chance to direct the film. But he turned down the directing role to work on Alien vs. Predator. Russell Mulcahy was hired to direct. Then Christopher Morrison was hired to direct, Sean Catherine Derek and Lawrence Kasanoff took turns writing the script, which would have had Johnny Cage resurrected to help the heroes against Quan Chi and a resurrected Shang Tsung. However, according to cast member Chris Casamassa, who would have reprised his role as Scorpion, production was halted when Hurricane Katrina destroyed most of the sets (Filming was to take place in New Orleans) and the film ultimately never happened. Then in 2010, it was announced that a reboot of the film series was in development set for a release in 2013. Filming on the third film began on May 2005 and took place in Louisiana. The film was supposed to be released on early 2006, but due to Hurricane Katrina, Casamassa said that it had "set us back a few months" and filming was delayed, so they were able to shoot only a few scenes. Consequently, the film has been in development hell. It has remained stagnant in preproduction for over a decade, after being mired in development hell for a number of years with numerous script rewrites and story changes, along with the destruction of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, which greatly affected one of the shooting locations. No information about the production exists on the official MK website produced by Threshold Entertainment, which has not been updated since 2004. As of September 2, 2008 in an interview with the director, Christopher Morrison, it appears as the film's budget will be between $50 million and $60 million. As of 2009, this film is under development.
Linden Ashby, who played Johnny Cage in the first film, stated in an interview on Soap Talk that he read the script and he will reprise the role.Chris Casamassa, who portrayed Scorpion in the first film and in the Conquest TV series, confirmed that he would reprise his role as Scorpion.
Bloody Disgusting received word that Warner Bros. Pictures has been looking to redo Mortal Kombat with Oren Uziel in talks to write. 
According to IMDB, the release date of this film may be pushed back to 2013. 
Paul W. S. Anderson, who had directed the original, expressed interest in returning to the franchise in a May 4 interview with G4.com, though he is not currently under consideration to do so.
According to Blogomatic3000.com, Warners Bros. and Threshold are working on the next Mortal Kombat film. 
On Chud.com, there was a possible trailer that appeared on the internet could be the reboot movie or a tie in for the next Mortal Kombat game directed by Kevin Tancharoen and fight choreography by Larnell Stovall. It shows Michael Jai White as Jax, Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade, Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage, Lateef Crowder as Baraka and Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion. It also featured Sub Zero, Reptile and Shang Tsung.  As well as this, the film has been dubbed as Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.
Jeri Ryan revealed that the short was made for the director to pitch the reboot to Warner Brothers. 
On September 29, 2011 New Line and Warner Bros announced that Kevin Tancharoen has signed on to direct a new big-screen adaptation of Mortal Kombat from a screenplay written by Oren Uziel, except this will be a reboot, not a sequel to Annihilation like Devastation was supposedly planned to be originally. It is unknown what the rest of the cast will be at this time, but Ian Anthony Dale has already been confirmed to reprise his role of Scorpion for the film instead of Chris Casamassa, so that makes Linden Ashby's return as Johnny Cage seem unlikely in itself.
It's rumored that Indonesian Martial Arts actor, Iko Uwais of Merantau will portray Liu Kang.
Larnell Stovall who was the fight choreographer in Mortal Kombat: Legacy mentions on his twitter account that Uwais, Scott Adkins, Markos Zaror, Michael Jai White and Darren Shahlavi are possibly the cast for the film. 
Rumors are report by Bloody Disgusting that the plot of the reboot will follow a lowly unlucky supermarket employee who discovers that he has out of this world powers and must decide between good and evil, even though the evil side has helped him discover his true potential and who he really is.
According to IMDB, Michael Jai White and Shane Warren Jones are reprising there roles as Jax and Cyrax and Scott Adkins is portraying Smoke and Kathryn Winnick is portaying Sonya Blade.
Warner Bros exec Lance Sloan reveals Mortal Kombat movie budget is between $40 million to $50 million. 
On October 25, 2013, Tancharoen tweets that he will not be directing the film. 
- ↑ “DUST” DEBUTS FROM MINK & PARENTE THIS SUMMER AT IMAGE
- ↑ http://www.moviehole.net/news/5047.html
- ↑ http://themoviecenter.wordpress.com/2006/06/09/a-legend-of-cinema/
- ↑ http://www.mortalkombat.com/movies_mk3_overview.php3,
- ↑ http://mk3movie.mortalkombatonline.com/
- ↑ Mortal Kombat Series Reboot at Moviehole.net
- ↑ Ign.com
- ↑ http://www.mksecrets.net/mkdev/eng/index.php
- ↑ http://www.truveo.com/Linden-Ashby-talks-about-Mortal-Kombat-3/id/282147513
- ↑ http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_12742587
- ↑ http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18833
- ↑ Paul W. S. Anderson Interested In Shooting Another Mortal Kombat Movie
- ↑ EXCLUSIVE: Larry Kasanoff working on third ‘Mortal Kombat’ movie?
- ↑ IS THIS VIDEO FOR THE NEW MORTAL KOMBAT MOVIE?
- ↑ http://chud.com/articles/articles/23984/1/IS-THIS-VIDEO-FOR-THE-NEW-MORTAL-KOMBAT-MOVIE/Page1.html
- ↑ http://twitter.com/JeriLRyan/status/15752179609
- ↑ New Line to Reboot Mortal Kombat!
- ↑ http://www.tabloidbintang.com/film-tv-musik/kabar/17662-iko-uwais-dilirik-produser-mortal-kombat.html Iko Uwais Dilirik Produser Mortal Kombat?
- ↑ http://twitter.com/larenleestovall/status/153153230732402688
- ↑ ‘Mortal Kombat’ Remake Begins With Lowly Supermarket Employee?!
- ↑ Photo by ktanch
- ↑ Photo by ktanch
- ↑ 
- ↑