|In Mortal Kombat|
|Weapons|| Kobu Jutsu (MK:D, MK:A, MKX) |
Dragon Naginata (MKX)
|Fighting Styles|| Zi Ran Men (MK:D)|
Yue Chuan (MK:D, MK:A)
|Games|| Mortal Kombat 4|
Mortal Kombat Gold
Mortal Kombat (2011) (cameo)
Mortal Kombat X (DLC)
|Portrayers|| Lia Montelongo (MK4, MKG) |
Jennifer Hale (MKX)
—Tanya's Mortal Kombat: Deception Biography
Tanya is a slender, gloomy woman from Edenia. Originally introduced as an ostensible innocent, she was quickly revealed to be corrupted by evil, a worshiper of Shinnok and an ally to the Brotherhood of Shadow. After Shinnok's defeat, she later served both the Deadly Alliance and Onaga. Tanya seems to view herself as a survivor more than anything else, justifying her choices as being the "right decisions". She is one of the few female henchmen from the Mortal Kombat series, and prides herself on her superior knowledge of magic and diplomacy. Because of her frequent betrayal of the Edenian cause, she has earned the rivalry and bitter hatred of Jade.
In her first appearance in Mortal Kombat 4, Tanya wore the standard female 'ninja' leotard, in yellow and black. Unlike the other female ninja characters (Kitana, Mileena and Jade), she did not wear a mask. She kept her hair in a braid. In MK4 her signature weapon was the boomerang.
Upon her return in Deception, now revealed to be a villain, Tanya maintained her yellow and black color scheme but now had longer hair and sinister glowing white eyes. Her primary outfit consisted of a revealing yellow and black bustier with matching skirt. As an alternate costume, she wore a version of her MK4 costume without exposed cleavage. The boomerang weapon from MK4 is replaced by the kobu-jutsu.
In Mortal Kombat X, Tanya has shorter hair but maintains her general color scheme and glowing eyes from Deception. Her clothing is styled in a more ornate fashion, with a midriff-baring top, gauntlets, and an Egyptian menat necklace. Like the other returning female characters, she shows less skin than before, with sleek black pants and boots and a golden sash. The kobu-jutsu weapon style returns, along with a new weapon: the naginata.
- Human Cannon Drill: Tanya lunges forward, spinning in a cork-screw manner with her flaming feet leading towards her opponent. (MK4, MKG, MKD, MKA)
- Surging Blast: Tanya sends a blast of fire from her hand at her opponent. (MK4, MKG, MKD, MKA, MKX)
- Air Fire Blast: Tanya jumps into the air and sends a blast of fire at a 45 degree angle towards her opponent. (MK4, MKG, MKD, MKA)
- Split Flip Kick: Tanya somersaults forwards with a flaming kick directed at her opponent. (MK4, MKG, MKD, MKA, MKX)
- Find Me: Tanya surrounds herself with a flaming haze and becomes invisible. (MKD, MKA)
- Throw: Tanya lifts her foe by the ankles & slams them down. (MK4)
- Neck Break: Tanya leaps onto her foe's shoulders, wraps her thighs around their head & swings around them 180 degrees. (MK4)
- Kiss of Deceit: Tanya gives her enemy a kiss on the cheek, which makes their limbs, torso and head twist and contort into impossible angles, before they explode. (MK4, MKG)
- Neck Screw: Tanya performs her "breaker" move three times in quick succession. The nearly identical animation led fans to dub this move as "lazy". (MK4, MKG)
- Torture Rack: Using her Kobu Jutsu, Tanya slices her enemy's torso, slits their throat, and then stabs them in their abdomen, allowing them to bleed to death as they sink to their knees. (MKD)
- Kneebone Knife: Tanya rips out the opponent's thigh bone and stabs them in the neck with it. The opponent then coughs until falling down, dead. (MKD)
- Bloody Boots: TBA
- Edenia Drill: TBA
- Hara-Kiri - Eye Stab: Tanya rips out both of her thigh bones and stabs herself in the head through her eye sockets. (MKD)
- Brutality #1: Top Off: TBA
- Brutality #2: Romp Stomp: TBA
- Brutality #3: TBA
- Brutality #4: Watch This: TBA
- Brutality #5: Pop Pop: TBA
- Tanya's name comes from one of Ed Boon's sisters, Tania.
- In the development stage of MK4, the development team intended for Kitana to be a playable character, but the decision was made to add a new face instead, who became Tanya.
- Tanya is one of few characters who uses the invisibility move in the Mortal Kombat series. Others include Reptile, Smoke, Chameleon (when in Reptile's form), Khameleon, and Noob Saibot.
- Tanya and Khameleon are the only females to use this ability.
- In Mortal Kombat Deception's Konquest mode, Tanya is one of two characters (the other being Kabal) who will attack Shujinko if she is bumped into. Normally, the aggressive characters must be punched by Shujinko before they react.
- Tanya and Quan Chi were the only characters who debuted in Mortal Kombat 4 to appear in games after it, until every character in the series reappeared in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
- In MKD's Konquest mode, with the help of Shujinko, Tanya found a cave in Outworld to use to trap Liu Kang in. However, Shujinko can also find Liu Kang to warn him about it.
- This is a reference to her MK4 ending.
- In her Deception Bio Kard, it's mentioned that her boomerang from the 4/Gold era was initially planned to reappear. For unknown reasons it was scrapped from the final product. In the Kard video she is also seen wielding a Naginata as her weapon, but before the game's release this weapon was reassigned to Hotaru.
- Later on, in Mortal Kombat X, Tanya would use the Naginata in one of her variations.
- In Mortal Kombat (2011), Kitana can be seen chained up in Shao Kahn's Coliseum. However, if the player chooses Kitana, Tanya will be chained up in Kitana's place. Tanya's design is unchanged from her appearances in Deception and Armageddon.
- In a Top 10 list hosted by Screwattack.com, Tanya's Neck Snap Fatality was placed at #10 of the worst Fatalities in the Mortal Kombat series.
- Tanya's weapon in Deception and Armageddon, the Kobu Jutsu, was simply known as "Tonfas" in early stages of development.
- The Kobu Jutsu will remain visible after Tanya has turned invisible. The only way to use them invisibly is during, or at the end of, a combo while invisible.
- According to Ed Boon on Twitter, Tanya barely missed the cut for MK9.