FANDOM


  • 15 years ago today, my first ever Mortal Kombat game was released. It was a good start to the PS2 era of Mortal Kombat and the games only got better. Go on and put anything you want to say about the game in the comments.

      Loading editor
    • Deadly Alliance is my least favorite game in the entire series, not including MKvsDC or the "adventure" games. lol.

        Loading editor
    • Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was fun for what it was: a product of it's time. Deadly Alliance is memorable in that it was the first game to feature full 3D gameplay, abandoning the 2D combat longtime fans were accustomed to, while introducing combat and weapon stances for the fighters.

      At best these ideas were gimmicks meant to reinvent the franchise and introduce a new generation of gamers like yourself to Mortal Kombat. At worse they were concepts that lost their luster after two entries: Deadly Alliance and Deception.

        Loading editor
    • With Xbox originals comming to the One, we might be seeing 3D games making a return.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      With Xbox originals comming to the One, we might be seeing 3D games making a return.


      I don't know. PS2 games have been on PS3 and 4 for a long time and no Mortal Kombat games like that were ever put up on the PSN store.

        Loading editor
    • i think all of the 3d games were relatively poopoo tbh

        Loading editor
    • I doubt they will, because they'll be missing the online component most likely.

        Loading editor
    • There's no way to know for sure. But I'd do it nontheless. Keeping older games in a long running franchise playable allows a healthy dosage of old and new.

        Loading editor
    • You'd do it, but you're also missing the point in that it requires the original source code to emulate, it's not a case of flipping a switch. It's also the case of ensuring the game's functional on all regions, look at a PS2 emulator, you can get the ISO's but you need the correct BIOS to make it functional.

        Loading editor
    • That's not stopping people at IGN from trying as many games as possible.

        Loading editor
    • Don't really see how IGN are relevant, and online multiplayer is gone for Xbox originals except fan servers which won't be supported.

      " Online multiplayer is not supported, however, as servers for original Xbox games were shut down years ago." that creates a problem with games what had longevity behind them for the multiplayer. And even then it's completely dependent on the licensing if NRS have the documentation, it's a legal problem given how they're no longer under the Midway Games banner.

        Loading editor
    • I mentioned them because their the people remodleing originals for the One. As for multiplayer, not everyone plays multiplayer. But who knows? Maybe if possible they will add them to One multiplayer or add new features if they can.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah...you can't just add multiplayer to an Xbox Original game like that...and again...*they're*

        Loading editor
    • I said "if they can". I did not specifically say they could.

        Loading editor
    • There's no "if they can", they can't. It'd require reworking the entire game, and again; source code.

        Loading editor
    • Riley Heligo wrote:
      I doubt they will, because they'll be missing the online component most likely.


      Might be more to it since they never made at least Deadly Alliance playable on the newer consoles.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      There's no way to know for sure. But I'd do it nontheless. Keeping older games in a long running franchise playable allows a healthy dosage of old and new.

      You can always purchase a refurbished Xbox or PlayStation 2 if you wish to play these games, since there is no way in hell Ed Boon or his team would ever work on them again. 

      From what I understand the 3D games are popular with niche gamers who are more familiar with the stiff, broken mechanics of these games, then with the intense combat of the 2D MK games, since they were introduced to Mortal Kombat with Deadly Alliance or any of it's 3D successors.

      So reviving these games so a younger generation of fans who recall them vividly can play them in HD with online multiplayer is bogus and a waste of time and resources.

        Loading editor
    • there's always emulation, PCSX2 runs the 3D MK games pretty well

        Loading editor
    • RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      There's no way to know for sure. But I'd do it nontheless. Keeping older games in a long running franchise playable allows a healthy dosage of old and new.
      You can always purchase a refurbished Xbox or PlayStation 2 if you wish to play these games, since there is no way in hell Ed Boon or his team would ever work on them again. 

      From what I understand the 3D games are popular with niche gamers who are more familiar with the stiff, broken mechanics of these games, then with the intense combat of the 2D MK games, since they were introduced to Mortal Kombat with Deadly Alliance or any of it's 3D successors.

      So reviving these games so a younger generation of fans who recall them vividly can play them in HD with online multiplayer is bogus and a waste of time and resources.

      People do this for the same reason people preserve old movies that go as far back as the silent era.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      There's no way to know for sure. But I'd do it nontheless. Keeping older games in a long running franchise playable allows a healthy dosage of old and new.
      You can always purchase a refurbished Xbox or PlayStation 2 if you wish to play these games, since there is no way in hell Ed Boon or his team would ever work on them again. 

      From what I understand the 3D games are popular with niche gamers who are more familiar with the stiff, broken mechanics of these games, then with the intense combat of the 2D MK games, since they were introduced to Mortal Kombat with Deadly Alliance or any of it's 3D successors.

      So reviving these games so a younger generation of fans who recall them vividly can play them in HD with online multiplayer is bogus and a waste of time and resources.

      People do this for the same reason people preserve old movies that go as far back as the silent era.

      I understand that there are people who like these 3D MK games, but they are not worth expending the time and resources to preserve since they only serve as a reminder of the direction Ed Boon tried to take his franchise by making the 3D leap, and ultimately failed at doing, which is why Mortal Kombat had to be rebooted.

      It also astonishes me how people are still stuck in the 3D era, pining for the shit that almost ruined this franchise, when a game as uninspired and mediocre as Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for example is not worth an HD revision.

        Loading editor
    • 3D graphics didn't damage it, less than perfect gameplay did.

        Loading editor
    • hes talking about the 3d plane failing, dummy, not the 3d models 

        Loading editor
    • 3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.

      Yes, it does matter. Those who know what a good Mortal Kombat game understand that once you strip away the blood and gore (ex. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe), restrict the flow and speed of combat to accomodate movement in a three-dimensional plane, and overshadow fan favorite characters with generic, uninspired subsitutes (Mavado, Hsu Hao, Shujinko, and any other shitty 3D-era character), it spells disaster.

      Nobody but a teeny-bopper in the 2000's likes this shit. And you clearly show a bias towards everything that sucks about Mortal Kombat, which at it's core is a 2D fighting game. You have even admitted in another comment thread that your introduction to this franchise was with the DC comics crossover. So you don't have the same degree of attachment to this franchise that the rest of us do.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.

      you know, theres a reason mk was basically dead for 5 solid years before being revived as 2(.5)d. its because no one liked the 3d games. midway/netherrealm didnt like making them and most fans didnt like playing them. 

        Loading editor
    • RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.
      Yes, it does matter. Those who know what a good Mortal Kombat game understand that once you strip away the blood and gore (ex. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe), restrict the flow and speed of combat to accomodate movement in a three-dimensional plane, and overshadow fan favorite characters with generic, uninspired subsitutes (Mavado, Hsu Hao, Shujinko, and any other shitty 3D-era character), it spells disaster.

      Nobody but a teeny-bopper in the 2000's likes this shit. And you clearly show a bias towards everything that sucks about Mortal Kombat, which at it's core is a 2D fighting game. You have even admitted in another comment thread that your introduction to this franchise was with the DC comics crossover. So you don't have the same degree of attachment to this franchise that the rest of us do.

      Well that's setting a good example to the fandom. Telling gamers who were brought in by games you don't like that they should be more like you. Do you expect every MK game to be a 2D fighter with the exact same roster forever? Do you expect NRS to pander to your wants and the wants of fans like you forever? Forever is a long long time. And time has a way of changing things. In fact, time is already changing things in MK. Much of the main cast is getting old in universe, or are now undead monsters. And if your complaints about MK nowadays cause yet ANOTHER retcon story, then Mortal Kombat will be trapped in a never ending status quo, never able to grow, evolve, change etc etc. I in fact wanted the game after Armageddon to continue the story. And as a storyteller and writer myself who is working on a book series, no matter how well or how poorly the latest book will be received when release, the next one will continue on.

        Loading editor
    • Fireworks888 wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.
      you know, theres a reason mk was basically dead for 5 solid years before being revived as 2(.5)d. its because no one liked the 3d games. midway/netherrealm didnt like making them and most fans didnt like playing them. 

      If they didn't like the games, why did they make the same style of gameplay from 2002 to 2008?

        Loading editor
    • There is a difference between telling someone that they should be more like me, and understanding what does and doesn't sell in a popular media franchise. I'm gonna say this again: Mortal Kombat is at it's core a 2D fighter. Ed Boon tried to reinvent it with by taking the combat to 3D and it didn't work. It doesn't fucking work! As someone who has been a fan of Mortal Kombat before it went 3D I understand this. You might as well reinvent Street Fighter, a rival 2D fighter, with the same mechanics and see how that pans out.

      And I'm tired of retcon stories, which is why I am making the argument that Mortal Kombat in it's present continuity should continue going in it's direction of delivering an original story where a specific conflict isn't going to parallel the original timeline or call back to past events and characters of previous games. All YOU'RE doing is pining for the shit that doesn't and has never worked.

        Loading editor
    • Barrymk200 wrote:
      Fireworks888 wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      3D 2D does it matter? MK is MK. I've played 3D and 2D fighting games and feel no bias towards neither.
      you know, theres a reason mk was basically dead for 5 solid years before being revived as 2(.5)d. its because no one liked the 3d games. midway/netherrealm didnt like making them and most fans didnt like playing them. 
      If they didn't like the games, why did they make the same style of gameplay from 2002 to 2008?

      the same reason call of duty tried the whole future shit thing for 4 years. loyal fans could only grin and bare it for so long.

        Loading editor
    • That's still not setting a good example, because you seem to think that because you were a fan from the arcade days, you are "a true fan". This is a major problem with fandoms nowadays. But if my words won't convince you, then I'll have to let time convince you. Granted I'm also in favor of new stories, but I'm not holding my breathe since odds are, Onaga's returning for MK11, and this will also likely mean the return of the Kamidogu and other DA/DE elements. I'm not pining for anything, I'm being pragmatic.

        Loading editor
    • Godzillavkk wrote:
      That's still not setting a good example, because you seem to think that because you were a fan from the arcade days, you are "a true fan". This is a major problem with fandoms nowadays. But if my words won't convince you, then I'll have to let time convince you. Granted I'm also in favor of new stories, but I'm not holding my breathe since odds are, Onaga's returning for MK11, and this will also likely mean the return of the Kamidogu and other DA/DE elements. I'm not pining for anything, I'm being pragmatic.

      Not a "true fan", but a loyal one. You on the other hand are a later bloomer. And nobody knows what's going to happen with the next game, so it's wise not to speculate.

        Loading editor
    • RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      That's still not setting a good example, because you seem to think that because you were a fan from the arcade days, you are "a true fan". This is a major problem with fandoms nowadays. But if my words won't convince you, then I'll have to let time convince you. Granted I'm also in favor of new stories, but I'm not holding my breathe since odds are, Onaga's returning for MK11, and this will also likely mean the return of the Kamidogu and other DA/DE elements. I'm not pining for anything, I'm being pragmatic.
      Not a "true fan", but a loyal one. You on the other hand are a later bloomer. And nobody knows what's going to happen with the next game, so it's wise not to speculate.


      I think these games are getting easier predict. A lot of deaths happened in MK9 so you knew they would probablly make new characters to replace the dead ones. And the ending to MKX gave you an idea of who could be the main boss of the next game. The ending to MK9 was the same way.

        Loading editor
    • Barrymk200 wrote:
      RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      That's still not setting a good example, because you seem to think that because you were a fan from the arcade days, you are "a true fan". This is a major problem with fandoms nowadays. But if my words won't convince you, then I'll have to let time convince you. Granted I'm also in favor of new stories, but I'm not holding my breathe since odds are, Onaga's returning for MK11, and this will also likely mean the return of the Kamidogu and other DA/DE elements. I'm not pining for anything, I'm being pragmatic.
      Not a "true fan", but a loyal one. You on the other hand are a later bloomer. And nobody knows what's going to happen with the next game, so it's wise not to speculate.

      I think these games are getting easier predict. A lot of deaths happened in MK9 so you knew they would probablly make new characters to replace the dead ones. And the ending to MKX gave you an idea of who could be the main boss of the next game. The ending to MK9 was the same way.

      It was revealed that Shinnok and Quan Chi were pulling the strings that led to Shao Kahn's downfall and the deaths of most of the heroes in the 2011 reboot so that they could make way for their invasion of Earthrealm. Mortal Kombat X was just a culmination of their plan.

      I'm hoping future installments can try something new with the current mythos as it stands. Callbacks to characters and events from the previous continuity (like Raiden being corrupted again) are good when they are subtle. But I don't want Mortal Kombat to just be about retelling the events of the older games, and reintroducing characters left and right.

        Loading editor
    • richfromstaten wins

        Loading editor
    • RichFromStaten wrote:

      Barrymk200 wrote:
      RichFromStaten wrote:
      Godzillavkk wrote:
      That's still not setting a good example, because you seem to think that because you were a fan from the arcade days, you are "a true fan". This is a major problem with fandoms nowadays. But if my words won't convince you, then I'll have to let time convince you. Granted I'm also in favor of new stories, but I'm not holding my breathe since odds are, Onaga's returning for MK11, and this will also likely mean the return of the Kamidogu and other DA/DE elements. I'm not pining for anything, I'm being pragmatic.
      Not a "true fan", but a loyal one. You on the other hand are a later bloomer. And nobody knows what's going to happen with the next game, so it's wise not to speculate.

      I think these games are getting easier predict. A lot of deaths happened in MK9 so you knew they would probablly make new characters to replace the dead ones. And the ending to MKX gave you an idea of who could be the main boss of the next game. The ending to MK9 was the same way.

      It was revealed that Shinnok and Quan Chi were pulling the strings that led to Shao Kahn's downfall and the deaths of most of the heroes in the 2011 reboot so that they could make way for their invasion of Earthrealm. Mortal Kombat X was just a culmination of their plan.

      I'm hoping future installments can try something new with the current mythos as it stands. Callbacks to characters and events from the previous continuity (like Raiden being corrupted again) are good when they are subtle. But I don't want Mortal Kombat to just be about retelling the events of the older games, and reintroducing characters left and right.

      I think the one way to avoid that would be to just get them out of the way as if they were supposed to happen no matter what and then fix the problem almost immediately like Raiden is corrupted and then he's cleansed.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.