Liu Kang was an infamous example of a zombie in the MK series. Raiden, who was corrupted by his suicide, had used necromancy to reanimate Liu Kang's body as an enforcer of the dark thunder god's will. Raiden had then unleashed Liu Kang's active corpse to destroy those who Raiden believes have caused harm to Earthrealm.
In Mortal Kombat: Deception's Konquest mode, zombies are shown to endlessly roam the wastelands of the Netherrealm. They were identified by an Oni Guard as beings that are "punished to roam the wastelands as reanimated dead".
Other zombies seen in the series would be the "undead" clan of Scorpion. The Elder Gods had promised to resurrect Scorpion's clan in exchange for his service to them as their champion. Unfortunately for Scorpion, the Elder Gods did not fully fulfill their promise as they had brought back the Shirai Ryu as animated dead. Infuriated, Scorpion vowed revenge against the Elder Gods. Scorpion attempted his revenge by sending his undead clan to kill Taven in order to ruin the Elder God's plans to save the realms from Armageddon. However, Taven was able to defeat the undead Shirai Ryu.
- Zombies could also be created in the Kreate-A-Fighter mode of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
- Some stages of the Challenge Tower in Mortal Kombat (2011) allow the player to fight zombies, be they regular (example: Challenge #15), lesser zombies (example: Challenge #16) or zombified characters (example: Challenge #129, in which Jax and Sonya appear zombified).
- Challenge #188 of the Challenge Tower allows the player to play as a zombie, which has been resurrected by Shang Tsung. The zombie's basic attacks inflict more damage than other characters yet he also receives more damage as well. He only has one special attack, called "Zombie Smash".
- In Test Your Luck, there is a Zombie Kombat option, which will cause both players to decay and battle with red, glowing eyes. The losing player will collapse into pieces.
- The same effect can be achieved by inputting the Kombat Kode 666-666 in a two-player match.